Here are the facts:
- I have an Italian permesso di soggiorno which expires on the 31st of October 2014.
- My Italian tessera sanitaria (also known as the ‘EHIC’) expires on the same date.
- To be enrolled at ULB this coming October, I need a Belgian visa and Belgian residency.
- I have already applied for said Belgian visa.
- Now, if I do not renew my Italian residency before October, it will lapse, and so will my EHIC.
- If I do renew my Italian residency before October, I face the problem of where exactly my permesso and tessera will go as I am not ‘in country’ next year and my mailing address will no longer be valid.
- I also face the problem of renewing it for my third year (2016), as during my second year I am in Belgium.
- If I renew my Italian residency after my one-year stay as a Belgian resident (without health coverage?) will the Italian State penalize me for effectively allowing a year to go by without renewing, even though my contract (at an Italian university) is for three years?
- Also, what about my health coverage? The Italian State deducts more than 50% of my salary. Will that just go to waste next year? (The Belgians already said we have to pay 30 EUR per month if there is no documentation that we pay for the Italian health coverage— documentation that according to the local authorities requires a valid Italian permesso!)
Honestly at this point I don’t even know what to do.